Friday 21 May 2010

Planting

Feeling a little nervous about how this project will go...no idea how to plant radishes so gone for a "give them lots of space" approach in hope each seed will come up but so they don't interfere too much with each other.

First things first, I read through the instruction book and looked at the pot, soil, seeds and bag. Figured that filling the pot would (if past experience is anything to go by) be a messy job so out into the back garden on a glorious sunny evening.

Water-logged soil can be a problem, particularly in plastic pots and since no holes in the bottom of the pot, reckoned I'd better add some gravel in case I (we!) over watered.


Then I added all the soil - and squished it down by hand till quite firm.


I wanted to make a little hole for each seed so I poked my finger in about a centimetre deep with about an inch between holes - hadn't really planned how many but ended up with 14 'homes' and popped a seed into each


A light covering of more soil over the top...


then after a quick check from the supervising cats, Tigger and Dibley


time for a gentle watering


back into the nice green bag for easy transport


and then I brought the pot back inside and put it onto the windowsill in the front room where it would catch the morning sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment